Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eyes on the Ground

I have found over the years of riding that having eyes on the ground is invaluable. Which is why so many of us pay the prices we pay for lessons or clinics.
Today my mom finally had a day off at the same time as me, so she came to help me with Comrade.  Like many rider horse combinations, Comrade and I have unknowingly made compromises that in essence are cheating. Mom shined the light on the areas where I have let Comrade sucker me in. Like how he wants me to hold him in a frame instead of him maintaining it himself. The exercise brought out the worst in both of us. I was suppose to have Comrade step under himself two steps, then move forward. At the walk, pretty good. At the trot we got the steps, but forward was not so good. Comrade used his normal evasion of picking up canter. Mom decided to call his bluff and have him to the exercise at canter. We got a few good steps and forward movement. Then he got really strong and started stealing the reins from me. As I corrected him and made him do the work I got a couple of good bucks. This is where Mom's eyes came in handy. I felt unbalanced from the bucks, but Mom kept after me to keep him going. She could tell he was evading and I could not allow him to get his way.
He popped a few more bucks, but I was centered and deep in the saddle so he did not move me. So he moved on to running through my hands. About this point, I realized I really should have put on my gloves. Unfortunately, I also started to lose focus in the exercise. My steps were more like circles and I lost my straight lines that should follow. Mom saw that both of us needed to slow down an approach the exercise differently.
Back to the walk. Using the inside rein she had me lead him in two steps, then straight. Emphasis on straight. And repeat. Comrade responded well, maintaining a soft long contact. He has a tendency to get too contracted in his neck and body. Since the walk was going well, we moved to a slow trot. Finally we managed to do the exercise the way she wanted. Even Peggy who was watching was able to see a difference. Comrade achieved self carriage while stepping and moving on. I achieved timing and straightness. We both walked away sweaty, but happy. Comrade was treated to a nice hot shower.
I always appreciate when my Mom can help me with Comrade. There are times when I feel stuck. She has no qualms about kicking me out of my comfort zone and can see any holes.
Hopefully we will get to do this again some time soon. And maybe soon I will be able to pay for other eyes on the ground.

3 comments:

  1. Its always nice to have someone who can push you to your full potential. It has made a huge difference in my riding having someone to believe in me even when i dont.
    Sounds like you guys had a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A support system is essential and I am lucky to have a great one. The ride was great, though I was sore the next day :)

      Delete