Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Never Ending Cold Virus and Give A Way Alert

Not much has been happening at the barn... except more snot and coughing. This cold virus is still wreaking havoc in the herd. Poor Winston seems to be the hardest hit. Roscoe is a close second though. The good news is that Dottie is showing increased mobility since being on the Previcox. And so far I have been able to order more Previcox. I am going to keep ordering until the prescription expires.



The tough part is deciding whether to work the horses or give them time to heal. Some of them just look tired. I decided to play with Roscoe since I saw him romping about the field. After that ride that revealed how much he is holding back, I expect more and ask him for it. I refuse to work harder than him. This ride was definitely a step in the right direction. I worked him on the ground first and then pushed him to give me the same trot under saddle. He is responding quicker than the first time I asked for more. He still has his sticky moments especially when he thinks we should be done. Love my Cobby boy!
Screen shot of tonights ride, so flat

Today my Mom and I tried another session with her directing from the ground. Almost immediately I could tell Roscoe was not himself. He was obedient and with effort gave us what we wanted, but it was not with the same energy the first session had. We WTC both ways before calling it a day. His energy was low and his movement flat. My baby needs some rest.

Ember's anti pawing bowl protection
My other baby, Ember, needs some work. His company manners have worn off and he is starting to push his boundaries. Boy is he cute though. We have played with clippers, messed with his ears and taken him on trail walks with Dottie. Leggy boy measures 12 hands already. He seems to like my sister and lets her rub on him without complaining. Who knows he may be her ride in a few years.

Ah well, giving the ponies time off means I have time to do holiday shopping. Fly on Over is holding her 4th annual Blogger Gift Exchange and I always enjoy participating.

And if anyone needs help with holiday shopping, stay tuned for tomorrows post which will be a give a way with two chances to win gift cards.

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone!
Standing on a sawdust pile to steal hay

1 comment:

  1. I"m sorry that the virus is still going on! It sounds like it might be on it's way out now though. And that last photo-!

    ReplyDelete