Thursday, November 9, 2017

No Whip November

During our lesson Roscoe enlightened me as to his thoughts about my leg asking him to do anything when a whip is not also present:

No Whip, No Go


I seriously thought we were past this point, but obviously leg does not mean go. So since this is a non show month, I am doing No Whip November. Roscoe needs to know that my leg means as much as the whip. This will help our sluggish canter departs too.

I won't lie, our rides start out ugly. Roscoe gets his butt kicked when he is dull to my aids. At times I have to reach back and smack him with my hand. So far, I have not had to pick up the whip I leave on the fence. After the initial battle, he seems to believe my requests are not optional. We are no where near where I want to be, but I know we both can get there. Plus I need to remember not to wear rain boots during these sessions since I nearly lose them.

Meanwhile, we play with the ball as I catch my breath from kicking his butt. Roscoe rolls it around with my encouragement.





2 comments:

  1. I hear you! Emi and I have to have this discussion every day. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it can be hard to motivate those that are lazy at heart.

    ReplyDelete