Thursday, November 9, 2017

No Whip November

During our lesson Roscoe enlightened me as to his thoughts about my leg asking him to do anything when a whip is not also present:

No Whip, No Go


I seriously thought we were past this point, but obviously leg does not mean go. So since this is a non show month, I am doing No Whip November. Roscoe needs to know that my leg means as much as the whip. This will help our sluggish canter departs too.

I won't lie, our rides start out ugly. Roscoe gets his butt kicked when he is dull to my aids. At times I have to reach back and smack him with my hand. So far, I have not had to pick up the whip I leave on the fence. After the initial battle, he seems to believe my requests are not optional. We are no where near where I want to be, but I know we both can get there. Plus I need to remember not to wear rain boots during these sessions since I nearly lose them.

Meanwhile, we play with the ball as I catch my breath from kicking his butt. Roscoe rolls it around with my encouragement.





3 comments:

  1. I hear you! Emi and I have to have this discussion every day. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it can be hard to motivate those that are lazy at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrome can be dull to legs too. Ugh. Hey, at least once you have a horse convinced that legs absolutely mean go you normally don't ever have a problem with it again. :)

    ReplyDelete