Tuesday, April 14, 2020

A Difference of Degrees

Well on top of all the virus fun and event cancellations, I found out my trainer was leaving. Though we have had our rocky moments, she has still moved Mom and I forward in our riding. So I signed up for two lessons the weekend my camp would have happened.
The way Sprieser is set up, I could pay online and we could go straight to the indoor limiting exposure. Rosemary was up to doing the lesson and Roscoe was hot to work. We ended up riding the whole hour and a half and taking turns. This allowed Rosemary enough breaks to catch her breath.



Lauren had both of us start over poles set in the corners and two in the middle. Roscoe decided the poles were going to eat him. He did eventually find his working brain. We slowed him down and put him into a longer Training level frame. When he consistently stretched over the poles, we put him together and picked him up. Man the quality of trot was amazing. He was coming through.
After a break for mom to work, we played with canter. Lauren wanted canter half halts. Last time we did this, I ran out of steam. This time we actually were able to work it. She had us do a working canter, which was bigger than I normally get at home, and then engage my core to help a half halt. Typical for Roscoe, right was better than left. His overall response was better. At times I could feel him sit and lift. He can't do it long, but what a difference.
Then the fun began, leg yields. You all know I have battled these for awhile. Lauren finally seemed to hit on my problem. I keep Roscoe too straight. She had me let his shoulder lead by five degrees. This immediately unlocked his movement. So we tried three degrees, but with less fluidity. Four degrees was the best of both. We finally could move forward and sideways. Hard to believe it was only a difference of degrees preventing our success. And I was able to get the same results at home.
It really stinks to make progress and have to pause lessons. But mom and I have taken advantage of our time to move Ember forward. He will get his own post. Stay well everyone!





Looking forward 

No comments:

Post a Comment