Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Beware the MARE

Sunday promised to be another hot day and it did not disappoint. I did a short session in the arena with Comrade before walking out on trail. Peggy walked the whole way on foot in front of us. Comrade followed her any where she went. He even gave her more room going down hills. I love seeing how he thinks.
By the time I made it to my barn it was about 2pm. I cleaned stalls, filled water, filled hay bags and brought in sawdust for the horses. I was a little distracted when I noticed the barn owl in the loft. He has the coolest face. Unfortunately the barn swallows are not keen on sharing the space, so they pester him.
Even though my outdoor to do list is long, and getting longer as the grass grows ;), I decided to give partial baths to the three who have not yet been cleaned this year. I let the boys come in and then I let the girls in. As I led Rosemary to her stall, Dottie decided to visit the boys. I headed down to nab her. I walked up next to her butt, talking to her the whole time.
Next thing I know she kicks out and connects with my leg just and I mean just above and to the outside of my knee. It was a definite "OH S#%T" moment. Funny what you think about when things like this happen.
My first thought "Well there go my plans"
Second "How am I getting home?" (I drive a manual transmission)
Third "Darn Mares in season!!!"
Then I realized Dottie was still standing there and since she was in season there was a chance she would pee all over the aisle. I hobbled over and walked her to her stall, where she promptly peed.
Luckily her size 4 shod foot only scraped a little skin and badly bruised the area. Keeping moving felt better so I continued with my bath plans after icing my knee. In all my years around horses I do not remember being kicked before Roscoe and Dottie. Lets hope I can make it this week without a repeat. I can report that I did bathe DaVinci, Winston and Dottie. Plus gave Rosemary and Roscoe a scrub too.
After my hour drive home, I was as gimpy as Comrade was after the show. Ice and a heated mattress pad to the rescue.
Ah whats a little more color in my life? Black and blue are not too bad :)

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I am a stick driver too and the knee I was kicked in Freshman year was my left. There are some days that I, too, wonder how I will drive home, but usually it's from the gym. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was the right, but still no help with a manual. Going down stairs or hills hurt the worst. Hopefully I will have no residual effects. Still have not tried riding yet.

      Delete
  2. Ouch, what'd she have to go and do that for?

    Two years ago my gelding stepped on my left foot and snapped a metatarsal, and I had a half hour drive home in my manual transmission car to do. Hurt just a tad.

    Ice and arnica will fix you right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I iced right away, but I forgot the Arnica which was right in the feed room. I remember things like that for my horses, but not me.

      Delete