Friday, June 8, 2012

Black and Blue Bday Gift

Roscoe decided that he would give me a lovely black and blue bruise just below my left collar bone for my 30th birthday. Surprised the heck out of me. He got pushy in his stall so I started making him move around. His stall is 14x10 so he has room.
Roscoe has his mother's attitude made worse by being a young boy. He knows the right answers, but sometimes he cannot resist giving his opinion. During this session he was listening well, only adding a few comments. I asked him to move on, then took a step back when he did. Next thing I know he kicked out with both back feet. And wait... oh yeah he got me.
Those baby legs have gotten longer and he aimed really well. Unfortunately, I am not that brave and he noted my ouch moment and thought to try again. I made him move away until my Mom could come and work him. She is the "head mare" in our barn and has more guts than me.
Since the breeder worked with him before the show he does not take as long to come around, which is good. Mom and I do not want to do a lot of lunging or round penning since he is so young. Peggy recommended we watch some Clinton Anderson videos. We have only watched a short part of his training. I was impressed with how he explains why and how to do the methods. Much of what he does, we have addressed with Roscoe in a different way before. Consistency is the biggest point he stresses. What you do on one side of the horse you need to do on the other.
I decided to try the first lesson on Roscoe. Desensitizing using a lead line. So I set myself up the way he recommends and began swinging the lead line along Roscoe's top line. He stood for a bit then he tried to come into my space from the front end. I realized I forgot to use my other hand to block. Once I corrected my position he did not try to much. When he moved a little, I easily stayed with him maintaining the rhythm of the lead line. This session I only did the top line on both sides. When he was good I gave him a scratch and turned him out.
The next time I addressed the top line and then moved onto the legs. Roscoe did not move at all during this session. He actually cocked a leg and let me do my routine. Time for me to watch the next lesson.
The hellion is still in there. He pulled the kicking stunt on Mom today, and she had to get after him. He chewed and settled pretty quick. It is a bit scary working with a yearling, knowing that this is information he will carry for the rest of his life and will shape that life too. I would say it will get easier once he is gelded (another long story), but he has had this attitude since he was born. So more to come in Roscoe's big boy lessons. Hopefully no more bruises :)

2 comments:

  1. Geez, just read this after your most recent post. You've been getting kicked too much lately :(

    I have to admit that kicking is one of the only things a horse can do to me that I'll punish with a whip. Kick at me and you'll get a sharp crack in return. One is usually all it takes. I don't mess around with kicking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep us too. Especially with Roscoe. I will admit I did not scold Dottie because by time I got over the surprise, it was too late to address the issue. I also think she was surprised she connected at all.

      Delete