Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pony Epiphany


Time flies. I wish I could say it was because I had been having fun, but no such luck. Work has been somewhat of a trial. The weather has been very windy and some days wet preventing riding.
So today I was determined to ride. Dottie had an appointment with the farrier, then my day was clear.
I headed out to Peggy's to ride Comrade. As I was grooming him, he flinched along his back. No obvious injuries, but definitely ouchy. I had already planned a low key ride and brought the bareback pad. Unfortunately, he was stiff and had an occasional hiccup. Probably someone that did not know him as well would not even feel any discrepancy. I went slow warming him up. Then moved into the trot. There was no unevenness and he really tried to give me what I asked, but I could tell he just could not maintain. He even pulled his old trick of skipping into a four beat canter to the left. The fact that even when I asked him to move forward at the canter, he did for a few strides then lost it, really told me that something was up and he was not just being lazy. After a bit more trot work, I ended the ride. He is at too good a point in his training to push him when he is not feeling right. Tomorrow I will lunge him and put the balance system on him so that he can work without me on his back.
By the time I got back to my barn the sun was beginning  to set. I decided to ride Rosemary and work on contact She has not worked since her lesson in the balancing system, so I really wanted to see how she would do. We had to have a conversation that just because all the other horses were outside did not mean she got to act like a demanding drama queen. Luckily she listens much better when I am on her back.
I immediately felt a difference. She did not fight the contact or do her giraffe impression. Her neck was long, soft and floppy (crest top moves with her motion). I did not have to do anything special with my hands, but stay soft. So then came the real test, moving into the trot.
Cue the Hallelujah angel choir. Rosemary stayed soft in the trot. I was so amazed. Never before has she quietly accepted the contact. I just went with it. She had some problems going to the right staying in the outside rein, but that is for another day. I have learned since riding Comrade, that cobs seem to do homework between rides. By the next ride it is like they have had an epiphany. Rosemary gets an A+ for her homework.
The worst part was that no one was around to see her working so well. Hopefully she will be just as good when mom is around to watch. After the ride, she turned into Barn Monitor. She raised the roof calling until all the other horses were inside. I swear she counts heads. Peace in barn.
After the week I had, Rosemary gave me the perfect ride. My quirky, drama queen pony made me so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment