Sunday, July 12, 2015

Post #400: After 9 Years, Amazing Ride

After 3 hard falls, 30 days of training over 3 months, and nine years of sporadic rides, I cantered Winston on purpose around the whole arena. This is not my first time cantering him, but this was for more than a half a circle.




Mom has been working on canter with him for a few rides and did not have any bad reactions from him. In fact he was more ready than she was. That was what I found with him when we cantered. I was a bit tense, but Winston did not care. He was so happy to be cantering. He wanted to keep going and offered the transitions, which were so smooth. Peggy watched as I let him go large, with the arena gate open and Dottie and DaVinci grazing just beyond. Who would have ever imagined this could happen. It was amazing.

Time, patience and building trust has definitely paid off in Winston's case. He is a fun ride now, when before I literally shook when I sat on his back. He enjoys the trails and now it seems he is enjoying the canter work. Great things really do come to those who wait.

2 comments: