Friday, April 21, 2017

Starting to Put Winter Away

I am really trying to get a jump on blankets this year. Normally I wash them through out the summer and then end up rushing to waterproof and repair before winter. This year I have already washed all the mid weights, most of the light weights and a couple of the heavy weights. I am making a concerted effort to repair and waterproof as I go along. Fortunately most are snags that I can glue with Storm Sure.
Hopefully this year I will manage to get all the "extra" blankets that are at home brought to the barn. It is tough when you need one of the spares and it is 45 minutes away. Part of that process includes the wonderful Ziploc Space Bags. Specifically the cube design. It is pretty amazing how may you can fit in their XL and Jumbo sizes.
Here are the mid weights in a jumbo. This has four 69", one 72", one 81" and Ember's Foal blanket.


50 gal tote before

Once it was minimized, I could fit a new mid weight and a spare next to the bag. Of course it makes the box heavy so I will need help getting it up in the attic.
After

I have two more jumbo size cubes and will hopefully only need one for the heavy weights. Of course the rain needs to stop so I can be more productive. There is not enough hang space in the house for drying blankets. I have at least started to put winter away.


Maybe by the end of the rainbow?





6 comments:

  1. oh that is cool- how do they work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are vacuum sealed once your fill them. There is a port to suck out the air. They make them for travelling too which you can just roll the air out of.

      Delete
  2. I finally took home ALL my winter blankets from the barn. Now to clean them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the hard part. We have a washer at the barn that can do most of them, but the heaviest ones and Dotties have to go in the front load.

      Delete
  3. I need to wash my winter blankets still

    ReplyDelete