Friday, August 8, 2014

Done Deal

3 stalls open and they end up in 1

Well life has kicked into high gear. My Dad decided that since the move has gone so well we should give notice. After checking with Peggy, he gave notice that day. Which okay saves us $200 next month, but leaves us trying to move 12yrs worth of stuff and 500+ bales of hay in less than 30 days. What makes it even worse is that my hand is still not 100%. Do you know how hard it is to watch 3 older people sweat while moving hay and you can't do anything? It got to the point where I tried to help. I was able to sort of carry bales. Stacking was a no go. Once the bale caught on a lower bale, pulling my fingers down which shot pain through the hurt area. They told me to stop and would not let me do anything the next day. Luckily my brother, who does P90X and tough mudders, came to help stack. That was great. Now we only have 300+ left.
This weekend I may say screw the finger and work through the pain so I can get some stuff packed. The doctor took xrays this week and confirmed there is no bone damage. The pain will hopefully subside over time. I don't have to tape my fingers anymore which makes me feel better when I ride. Those fingers sticking out made me have visions of broken parts if a horse did something. Now I can make an almost closed fist.
The horses are doing great. We have had some interesting moments between Sonny and Roscoe when the girls shared a fence line. Sonny is dominate to Roscoe and charges him when the girls are near. At one point he had charged Roscoe and was then faced with dodging Rosemary's heels when she came at him. Nobody is allowed to go after Roscoe when she is nearby. Such a good mother. So now we make sure the girls only share a fence line with Sonny and not both of them.
Riding/work wise all but Winston have worked twice in the last week. Dottie is like a different horse, I did not even need a whip when I rode her. She happily trotted over low x's. I am so excited that my horses will finally get into shape. Roscoe has had some mental exercises, namely learning how to stand in the stall with his door open. Peggy has no stall guards so he really has to learn not to go out the door until asked. I open the door and when he steps any part of his foot onto the cement, I tell him to back up. Then he inches up to the door way and waits nicely. I stand further away, open the door wider and take some pictures. The camera clicks seduced him into stepping onto the cement, so back I had to push him. Eventually he cocked a leg, yawned and chewed about 6in inside the doorway. Lesson success for the day. He did have to have a refresher yesterday, but he remembered quickly.
Thinking Hard :)

Camera Seduction

When we are more settled I will take some pictures of the place. Peggy says she enjoys having a full barn again.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Sounds like a good move for everyone. Good luck with the hay - don't push yourself before you're ready. I know how tempting it is, but its really not worth it :)

    ReplyDelete