|St Patricks Day|
It took me a bit to get my muscle memory back and remember how to use the anvil. That first shoe seemed like it would never widen. Shaping steel is no joke. Persistence paid off and it began to take shape. Once I tweaked the heels it was ready to nail.
|Same shoe type: left worn 16 weeks (two resets), right new|
I took a deep breath because getting the toe nails in is key and freaking hard on a moving horse. Rosemary surprised me by standing still and letting me get the shoe nailed on with little leg pulling.
|She knows she is on the shit list|
I took a breath and picked up her foot. I was able to save the nail despite its crunched look. Rosemary refused to cooperate for the other nails. That is a dangerous point in the process with nail points sticking out. No way to I want to be impaled by some nails. I was at the point of deciding between using my hammer or my anvil on Rosemary's head. I resisted barely.
This never ending shoeing was at the "get it done" point. The remaining four nails went in faster than I thought they would. Rosemary was more settled. I guess our discussion worked. Both of us were thrilled when I finished setting, clinching and filing. I did not even attempt to trim her back feet. We both needed to be done.
That weekend my farrier came and looked at her after shoeing the older horses. He gave me a thumbs up and said she was landing flat. I swear I felt like I passed a final exam. Now that I have a set of her shoes, I can preshape the new ones and hopefully keep her happier during the process. I save about $80, but boy do I work for it.
I am way behind with posts, so I will jump ahead and say that Roscoe is going to a jump chute clinic on Monday. Because you know that is the best way to get ready for a dressage show...