Monday, September 15, 2014

2014 Welsh MidAtlantic Show Recap

Finally I have a chance to type this up. First thing I have to say, it was so much easier having all the horses in one place for show prep and clean up. I did my normal routine of taking off on Friday to devote my time to loading and bathing. Mom came out in the morning to hook up the trailer and get most of the morning chores done. It was a bit of a rainy day, but we still got everything worked out. While Mom was there we banged Roscoe's tail. Mom holds it at the level he carries it and I cut. Well this time I did the big cut and when I went to clean up  a portion Roscoe moved and the scissors cut my hand too. It was a definite "OH SHIT" moment. Right in the fleshy part below my thumb was a quarter inch deep cut bleeding pretty good. I went and put in under water while Mom found a bandaid. It probably should have had a stitch, but no way was I going to the doctors. Antibiotic ointment and a bandaid, that's it.
At least I cut my bad hand and already was handicapped by it anyway. Peggy did have to do more of the two handed scrubbing during the boys' bathes. They cleaned up great and got tucked into their stalls.

The only thing that did not go right was that Lisa was not able to get a flight out. She shows the boys better than I do, but I can make it work. Peggy buys me in hand clothes so I got to wear one. This time I did not oversleep. I made sure the alarm was set for AM this time not PM. We gave the boys some food and tossed hay to the rest. Larry would keep them happy during the day. Then we booted up the boys and started loading. Roscoe walked on like a champ and so did Comrade... minus a boot. I looked down and laughed. Sometime between getting his boots on and Peggy bringing him out he had pulled off his front boot. Ah these Cobs.
And now for a comparison: Roscoe and Comrade trailer butt shots
April 2012

Sept 2014

I had to reassure DaVinci that Roscoe was coming back since he was a little worried seeing the trailer. We were about 15min late leaving, but that's not too bad. Luckily parking was fairly easy. Since it was 730 and the show started at 800, I had Mom put Roscoe's bridle on in the trailer. That way all we had to do was unbraid his tail and polish him up when he got off. Peggy did the same for Comrade because his class was right after Roscoe's two.

We all battled the gnats and the wet grass to get to the arena. Super view, but so bad in the morning. My pants were soaked 4inches by time I went in the ring. Roscoe was super. He trotted out for me without running over me. We made the turns without him bulging into me and he stopped when I asked. Then came the standing still part or the trying to stand still part. He is always wiggling during these early classes. When I would finally get him to settle, he went too far that way by cocking a leg. Seriously I think he was laughing at me. Good news is that I remembered to change the connector for the lead line to one that did not slip over his chin, so at least he could not eat that. That was fun at the last show. Roscoe in the Grand Champion Cob Class did not even realize that he was standing next to a mare. I almost wish he had so he would stand up... sigh. Well even with his hip shot stance, he came away with Grand Champion under one judge and Reserve under the second. The judge that pinned him Reserve, pinned him that way 3yrs ago at his very first show when he was 3months old. So at least she is consistent in her opinion of him.
Mom's pictures of Roscoe. The Pro's must have taken a break just when it was his turn. They got the other 3 classes of Cobs, but none of him.
Love his shine

"Hey I hear a camera clicking"

"Okay, I will chill out"

Mom's pic, my editing.

The Judges
Then is was time for a number change and a pony swap. Unfortunately Comrade's competition did not show up. With the Welsh point system that makes a difference. Roscoe suffers from that too, being the only C/D stallion. So Comrade's class was all about him. He trotted out well for me, but he too gave me that hip shot stance. Pain in the butt, he knows what to do. Of course I did something I never do, mixed up pony ages. The judge asked his age and I said "7...uh no wait that's my mare. He is 9." They laughed and said I was a typical parent :)
The Pro's got some great shots of Comrade. This is my favorite.

Comrade's Ribbon above, Roscoe's below

After those classes I was dripping because the humidity was hitting hard. I stripped off my show top and put my tshirt back on for the waiting portion. Originally we tied the horses to the tackroom side of the trailer, like we normally do. But we were a bit close to the next trailer. Then Peggy got the brilliant idea to put up our canopy at the end of the trailer. She hooked the trailer ties and hay bags to the butt bars. We walked the boys under and hooked them up. Even though it has been over a year since we last walked them under it, they had no problems. They bumped their ears looking out, swished their tails brushing the nylon like they do it every day. As the day got hotter, they stayed cool in the shade. Plus the bugs did not bother them. We sent a message to my Dad saying we needed a 2nd canopy for us now. People kept walking by shaking their heads at the ponies. We heard "spoiled" more than a few times. Definitely the wrong "s" word. "Smart" was more apt.

The best part was when the mares at the next trailer got into a kick fest and they brought one over to the side closest to us, Roscoe got excited. I told the lady that he was a stallion and she moved the pony further away, but still on the same side. Then I turned to Comrade and said "Help us out, Block him." That wonderful pony pushed Roscoe back and pointed at the bag like saying "Get back to eating." And Roscoe did. They stayed happily eating hay and watching the surroundings for almost 5 hours.
Then it was time to get them ready again for the Supreme classes. Comrade was up first. Of course with 90 temps and high humidity, the judges decide to have people run in each class. Normally they run in for the individual age/type class, then just present for the rest. Not this time. I got my running in for this show. Comrade went in with the other geldings, but he did not place. Since he lost weight he has not won. He pinned when he was obese, but not now when he is looking really great. Oh well, we know he is awesome.

Roscoe got all excited by the gelding running around, so I was not sure what I would get in the ring. We trotted in great, then just before the first turn he acted like a Royal Welsh contender by leaping into the air. I wish I could have seen it. Mom and Peggy said it was impressive. I just caught the flash of white and then asked him to move on. He did and we continued around the bend. That of course woke him up and made him wiggly again. He was somewhat better when we moved to the reserve position and he had better scenery, a mare's butt. Like Comrade, he did not place but it is always good for him to have to do work after a break period.
A great Pro picture here
Just before his leap
My favorite of Roscoe

Afterwards when we were both back to our casual wear, we went for a walk. I did not even have a chain on him, just his leather halter and normal lead line. We strolled over by the barns where finally after nearly a year, I got a check for the dressage saddle I sent to someone. None of my saddle sales have been easy. Roscoe was great though. He never pulled against my hand and never really got crazy stallion like. Now the question will be whether or not to do the show in October. Virginia added a show this year and Roscoe probably will need the points.
So ponies were wonderful and behaved and I did not hold them back, too much, running them around.


  1. Roscoe is SO beautiful! Glad you all had a successful show!

  2. They are both gorgeous! And congrats on such a great show.

  3. Roscoe is just drop-dead gorgeous. I love him!